Friday, 18 July 2014

The Writing Process Blog Hop

Thanks to Kemberlee Shortland, www.Kemberlee.blogspot.com for tagging me in The Writing Process Blog Hop

Read about my writing process here. At the end I'll be tagging a few other authors, so please do follow those links to their blogs and interviews.

To browse or purchase books, please visit Tirgearr Publishing at www.tirgearrpublishing.com


Q: What am I currently working on?
I am currently working on my second novel. All I can really say is that, like my first, which will be published by Tirgearr Publishing this September, it is a romantic comedy.  Like my first novel, my heroine is strong, independent and feisty.

Q: What makes my writing distinctive?
I think very visually, so when I'm writing, it's very important for me to see what's happening in my head. If I can't see something, for example, if I can't visualise where my characters are and what they're doing, and what they can see, I find it hard to write that scene. When that happens, I just make some notes about the scene and move on to another one.
I also write a lot of dialogue, so my chapters are quite short and fairly fast. Dialogue is fast. I like to listen to the way people talk. When I'm writing that, I can also hear my characters talking. To make sure I'm getting it right, I often read it out loud for myself.

Q: Why do I write what I write?
Everyone has things they want to write about, I suppose. My first novel, Going Against Type, is set against the backdrop of Dublin newspapers. It's about columnists who meet and fall in love without realizing they are bitter enemies in print. I used to work as a journalist. I even wrote a column for a short while. Of course the novel is completely fictional, but I had real experiences to ground me.

Q: How does the writing process work?
I write better in the mornings. And even if I'm struggling with something, I know that it's only a first draft. It will get better. You have to put stuff down to be able to edit later. You can't edit a blank page.

Q: What next?
The next book, hopefully. I'm just concentrating on the one I'm writing at the moment.

Now I'd like to tag the following authors. Please visit their blogs to read about their writing processes.

Jeff Gardiner: www.jeffgardiner.com
Elizabeth Delisi: www.elizabethdelisi.blogspot.com
Charlene Raddon: www.charleneraddon.blogspot.com
Isabo Kelly: www.Isabokellyrambles.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment